Tuesday 9 June 2015

Runner Academy Podcast:

Not exactly low carb but related to the exercise that we have been doing. I also intend to start looking into some low-carb podcasts that I have heard about. For busy people this is a great way to absorb more information. 
One of the areas of sport that I think often gets neglected is knowledge, knowledge is power after all. I a sponge and an addict when it comes to information collecting, I did it for my degree and I did it when my foot got bad and badminton coaching and now I starting to do it for running.
The problem with running compared to the other subjects above is the sheer volume of information and trying to work out what is useful. I enjoy reading but there is a limited pool of readable running books that I have access to and so I thought I would see what else is out there. Running videos don’t seem to exist but I then found out there appeared to be a load of podcasts. These are great for me to listen to on my commute.
I started with the Runners Academy Podcast and that is what I am going to “review” today. I have listened to quite a few of these podcasts and have been very impressed with the content and the quality of the people being interviewed.
I have listed to other podcasts and it really depends on what you are listening for, if it is to get some great information and listen to some great guests then this is a top podcast. It is one of the first places I came across a lot of the running methods that I now use and have learnt more about things like 80:20 running from this podcast. In fact in my opinion you could just listen to this and not buy the book (the book is good but unless you want the plans not worth the extra money once you know the principles). I have heard from elite runners, ultra-marathon runners and various doctors and all have had interesting things to say.
The podcasts always features a running tip of the week and they go into reasonable detail to explain different aspects such as nutrition etc on the ones that I have listened to. There is also the quote of the week, these are short and sweet and normally not that helpful.
Overall I feel that the podcasts have been very valuable to my running experience and enabled me to absorb a lot of information that I would otherwise not have come across or bothered with. It is easy to listen to on the commute and you can easily go back and listen to the most useful ones again. I have listened to the 80:20 running podcast at least twice. My only negative is that I feel it could do with 2 hosts, 1 host can come a bit monotonous and in others I have listened to there is great banter and differences in knowledge and experience when 2 hosts are used.
Fantastic Podcast and well worth listening to…
9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment